Friday 7 February 2014

Developers dupe 35 accommodation seekers in Lagos


The property

No fewer than 35 accommodation seekers, who had paid two developers to secure apartments, were shocked after finding out that they had been swindled of their hard-earned money.
PUNCH Metro learnt that the victims were allegedly duped by one Mr. Olayinka Peter and Alhaji Famous of Excellent Properties in the Iju Ishaga area of Lagos State.
The victims, who paid between N100,000 and N300,000, were reportedly asked to move into their apartments on the same day.
Most of the victims claimed to have paid cash to the suspects instead of making bank deposits
One of the victims, Muheeb Alebiosu, said he paid N295,000 to the suspects.
He said, “I saw a poster at Pen Cinema area of Lagos and I called the telephone number written on it. I was directed to 9, Ajisafe Street, Ishaga, where I met one Kola Ahmed. He took me on a tour of the property and introduced me to Alhaji Famous.
“Alhaji Famous explained that the house was not yet completed and asked me for two years rent, but I said I could only afford one and a half years’ rent. I gave N245,000 cash to him and then paid N50,000 into his bank account. He said I could move in on January 4, 2013. However, on getting to the house, I met many other tenants.
“The painful thing is that I am about to get married and I am presently squatting with a cousin of mine who is married. What do I do now?”
Another victim, Kehinde Ogunsile, said he paid N250,000 cash to Famous.
He lamented that he had nowhere to stay as he had spent all his savings.
He said, “I paid N250,000 on December 18, 2013. I had been introduced to Famous through one agent in the area. I was told to move in first week of January, but by the time I knew it was a scam, it was too late.
“I just got married in December and where I live presently is not too decent. I owe my current landlord five months’ rent and I might soon be evicted because the landlord has been on my neck.”
A woman, Bose Obanowa, said she paid the suspects N175, 000 for one and a half year’s rent.
She said she met Famous through an agent and later paid him cash on December 11, 2013.
“The most painful thing is that my husband, who is abroad, did not know of the transaction. I wanted to move into the house and get it ready as a surprise for him,” she said.
Our correspondent, who visited the house, observed that it was padlocked from outside.
Most of the victims, who gathered outside the building, wrote down names in form of a joint petition to the Area G Commander.
PUNCH Metro learnt that the money which the suspects allegedly made away with was almost N8m.
The petition reads in part, “Mr. Olayinka Peter and Alhaji Famous of Excellent Properties at 9, Alhaja Ajisafe Street off Raftech Way, Ishaga are under the agreement as developers to Mrs. Moriamo Jinadu and Ms. Mosunmola Jinadu, the owners of the property.
“The property has three mini flats and one unit of self-contain apartment. Over 30 tenants are victims and the number is increasing.
“Some of us went to the owner’s house, but we were told that they had nothing to do with us and that we should sort ourselves out. We want the law to take its course. Kindly help us retrieve our money.”
PUNCH Metro learnt that the landlady had leased the property to the developers for about 12 years.
However, it was learnt that the police had arrested the landlady.
Police Public Relations Officer, Ngozi Braide, confirmed the arrest to our correspondent on the telephone.
Braide, however, added that the landlady was later released while efforts were on to apprehend the prime suspects.
“The area commander confirmed the incident. The landlady was arrested, but has been released on bail and she is cooperating with us. Efforts are on to arrest the developers who are the prime suspects,” she said.
Download National Dialogue Committee's Reports (in PDF)
Get breaking news on BBM - add our PIN - 232FC0E9
Follow on Twitter to receive updates every hour
Don't miss the next news item - LIKE our Facebook page

No comments:

Post a Comment